Ty Crwn Mawr – Authentic Mongolian Ger (Yurt)
Ty Crwn Mawr (Large Round House) is a spacious, cosy and very comfortable authentic Mongolian Ger (better known as a yurt) with amazing views which can easily and very comfortably accommodate up to eight guests. It has a super comfy king size bed and six single foldable futon beds that turn into seats.
Fully insulated with thick wool felt and heated with a brilliant wood burning stove, it is beautifully furnished with lovely linens, wall hangings, rugs and fairy lights creating a warm and magical space.
The yurt is light and airy with a clear round window in the roof and a north facing door to help keep things cool on sunny days and hot summer nights. The floor and walls are well insulated, so it’s toasty even on the coldest of winter nights.
A basket of logs and some firelighters and kindling are provided. Further logs are available on request for £5 a basket. Firelighters and kindling are also available.
There is a secluded seating area and fire pit/BBQ to the south of the yurt with plenty of chairs and benches.
Right next to the yurt is a small wooden shed with kitchen area including a gas stove and sink, compost toilet and hot shower cubicle.
All pots/pans, crockery and cutlery, mugs and glasses are provided. We simply ask that you wash them before you leave. Bedsheets, duvets and pillows are provided along with plenty of extra blankets but feel free to bring more with you.
The log cabin near the yurt contains a fully equipped kitchen (including gas cooker, electric fridge, toaster, sink with hot and cold water), dining area and shower room with power shower, flushing toilet and sink. The log cabin facilities are occasionally used by us and the guests staying in Ty Crwn Bach Idris (our other smaller yurt) about 30m away but screened by trees/bushes and with its own seating area, fire pit etc. Exclusive rental of the whole venue is available.
In keeping with the ethos of our home, we have tried to use reclaimed/recycled/up cycled materials wherever possible.
There are standard 230v electrical sockets in the yurt and low energy lighting there and in the bathroom/kitchen which all run off renewable energy sources. So by staying in Ty Crwn Mawr you will be doing your bit to reduce pollution and carbon emissions.
If you need assistance with anything just ask. We are here to help and glad to do so. 🙂
You can check availability and book online via our AirBnB listing.
Guest reviews and comments
My family and I stayed here to celebrate my birthday. The yurt is beautiful and the facilities are well above the standard you would expect from off grid living. We were able to enjoy the bbq and fire pit. Chilling our drinks in the pond was all part of the adventure (there is a very large kitchen with fridge available but that isn’t as fun!) Shayne was a wonderful host and although we didn’t meet Nathan his enthusiasm for off grid living was evident in all the fantastic facilities he has built. Stay here to get away from it all. 22 Apr 2019
We really enjoyed our time in the yurt. All of the facilities were spotlessly clean and the location is excellent. Even in the middle of winter the yurt was warm and cosy thanks to the wood burning stove. The communal kitchen and bathroom were well equipped with everything we needed. The outdoor kitchenette and composting loo were really handy too. We would recommend the yurt to anyone and would definitely visit again. 21 Jan 2019
What a fantastic stay we had in such a beautiful yurt in a beautiful part of Wales! Never stayed in such a relaxing, tranquil place, with just the birds tweeting and no one else around - it was perfect! The hosts are very friendly, the yurt was so cosy, especially on an evening with the stove lit, and the kitchen cabin was great with plenty of space and lovely, private views. We will definitely be booking again! 12 May 2019
We loved everything about our stay: the yurt was magical, the location peaceful and Nathan was lovely and very helpful throughout. Waking up every day to pheasants and chickens running around was a highlight! We came back refreshed from a fantastic few days in nature despite having more rainy weather than we’d expected. 05 Mar 2019
Shayne and Nathan’s yurt is AMAZING. It’s the perfect escape for the weekend in the beautiful backdrop of North Wales. This is the second time I’ve stayed there with friends and Nathan is an amazing host. We felt instantly welcome and relaxed. I’d highly recommend this to anyone. It’s a great space and living off the grid is cool! 09 Dec 2018
- Jennie Wren
One doesn’t always write fantastic Airb&b reviews, but this is the exception. Words do not exist to explain the utter brilliance of the yurt! The views are spectacular, great location to travel and see the many sights in Wales. The site it’s self and facilities are clean and well kept. We were very warm in the yurt with the duvet provided (there are extra blankets if you get cold). We loved our visit and will be back again in the future ! 11 Apr 2019
If you are looking for something a bit different then the Yurt is great. Warm, cosy and good for stargazing in the evenings. Make sure you put the full address in as only the postcode takes you to a dead end at the end of the road. Nathan met us to check in and show us around, he was helpful and recommended a few local places to find food. The Yurt gets very toasty andalthough the supplied wood only lasted one night, the DIY shop in Corwen sells wood and kindling quite cheap so it wasn't an issue. The... read more 28 Mar 2019
We had a fantastic time at Shayne and Nathan’s yurt - it’s a real haven in the Welsh countryside! The yurt itself is beautifully furnished, spacious (perfect for a girls weekend) and very very cosy, especially on a stormy weekend. The off-the-grid facilities are great and we could self cater very easily. Shayne & Nathan are incredibly welcoming and accommodating hosts - their dogs Ruby and Tilly even came with us for a walk over the hills. We will definitely be back for another adventurous weekend away from London! 14 Oct 2018
Just back from my wonderful week away solo stay in Shayne & Nathan's yurt. Secluded enough to feel cut off from it all but with all the amenities you could possibly need for a longer stay, it's nestled in a stunning location with plenty of excellent walks on your doorstep. The yurt itself was sizeable, homely and it didn't take long for me to settle in. Shayne & Nathan were brilliant hosts, full of helpful tips and always on-hand to keep the wood burner stocked - their dog Ruby even showed me around the Cynwyd Forest trails! I'll definitely be... read more 15 Mar 2019
- The yurt is set well apart from the main house. The log cabin kitchen/dining room and bathroom are about 30 meters away.
- You will have your privacy but we are only too happy to chat, help, spend time, advise on places to go, things to do, where to walk etc. Apparently we are very approachable!
- If you would like to try your hand at chopping your own wood or joining in whilst we work on the vegetable garden you will be most welcome.
- Feel free to play guitars, drums, or to sing your heart out if you are musically inclined.
- You are welcome to use the garden, sit by the pond and generally make yourselves at home.
- Enjoy the space and the feeling of freedom.
Interaction with guests
We are available to recommend walks, mountain bike rides, places to eat, local entertainment nearby…or just for a friendly chat!
If you are celebrating a special occasion then we may be able to help with some great food and a bottle of something suitable, ambient music etc. We will need a bit of notice to sort that out, but we want your stay here to be memorable and enjoyable so we will do what we can to help make that happen for you.
Other things to note
- On the North Berwyn Way walking route. Here’s a link to one of many websites: www.deevalleywalks.co.uk
- We have a fresh spring water supply, delicious clean vibrant water.
- Electricity produced on site from renewable energy sources – 230v in the yurt and cabin
- Sustainable wood powered heating
- Hot showers
- WiFi available
- Two toilets: One flushing macerator toilet in the log cabin and one separating compost toilet….gentlemen…please sit down to pee!!
- Towels are provided.
- Washing up liquid, tea towels, dish cloths are provided.
- Bed linen and duvets are supplied for all beds.
- Eggs from the free range chickens are available when they are laying and we haven’t already eaten them! Sorry if you are vegan but we love our chooks and they have a great life…as you will see!
- Do bring your own torches/lamps for use outside the yurt and matches/lighter to light the stove/bbq/fire pit/gas hob. You will need to supply your own charcoal for the BBQ or if you request it in advance we should be able to arrange that for you.
- There are low energy lights in the yurt and the kitchen/toilet and 230v power socket for phones or computers in the yurt and in the cabin.
- Internet/WiFi can be provided if required but due to our very rural location the internet can sometimes be a bit temperamental!
- Pets are welcome by prior agreement – Must be fully house trained – Extra £5/night/pet.
Ty Crwn Mawr Photo Gallery
Click on a photo to view full screen.